We all want to kick back, relax and fully enjoy our hard-earned vacation time but unpacking and returning to work are hard enough without extra pounds and tighter pants with which to contend. With these tips, you will feel proud and healthy and, we think, have an even more spectacular trip.
LESSON 2:HAVE YOUR CAKE, BUT SAVE SOME FOR THE OTHER TOURISTS.
Embrace your locale
Eat fresh and local. If you are by the ocean indulge in the fresh seafood. Try to find a farmer’s
market and eat local produce. Not only will these be healthier choices, they will also contribute
to your total vacation experience.
- Bring healthy snacks to keep in your hotel room – granola bars, fruit, veggies and whole grain
snacks are good choices to fill you up and prevent an unhealthy binge later. Plus the foods will
save you a few dollars, dollars certainly better spent hitting the local retail shops.
- Check menus when not hungry and find some good fast food choices or gas station snacks so
you’re knowledgeable during road trips.
- If you know where you are going to eat at night, take the time to check the menu and figure
out the best choice that will still satisfy you. If it is going to be a calorie laden meal, prepare by
eating a lighter lunch and breakfast and adding another ten minutes onto your exercise routine.
- If possible, sometimes it’s worth booking a room with a small kitchen. Even a small refrigerator
drastically improves your food options.
Quality over quantity
- Indulge in full flavors and feel satisfied with fewer calories consumed. Blue cheese has a strong
flavor and you can use much less than a more mild cheese like cheddar. Dark chocolate has a
rich flavor that goes a long way. Real maple syrup has no artificial flavors and tastes delicious.
Don’t drink your calories
- Summer cocktails and vacation may go hand and hand for some but choose carefully – those
tasty blended drinks can quickly use up the days calories. Opt for light beer, wine and cocktails
with zero calorie mixers (think club soda).
- Juice and soda are very high in calories but do not offer the same filling properties as food. Soda
equals empty (what a waste) calories!
- Drink LOTS of water. Water will keep you satisfied longer, ward off hunger and keep you hydrated.
Splurge and enjoy with non-food treats
- Indulge in a beach massage or check out the spa menu at your resort.
- Try sailing, kayaking, or deep sea fishing (which also burn calories – very sneaky!)
- A new dress to wear out dancing is fun, has no calories and offers extra incentive not to throw your healthy lifestyle totally out the window.
Filed Under :