- 5 Chayote
- 1 shallots
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 6 gram of Butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon of Flour
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 clove of garlic
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 100 gram of grated parmesan, gruyere or gouda cheese
carefully wash the Chayote. Cut them in two, lengthwise. Remove the heart and roots and place the vegetables in a pot covered with water. Add salt, cover and let it cook for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the pot and let them cool. Remove the meat from the skin carefully to not damage the skin and set the skins aside.
- Puree the meat of the chayote in a mixer and set aside.
- In a pan, add oil and butter and diced shallots. Mashed the garlic and add to pan and thyme, sprinkle add flour to make a roux and milk to produce a thick béchamel sauce. Add the Chayote sprinkle parsley, half of the cheese and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes by mixing constantly.
You can either add this mixture into the each Chayote skin or cover with parmesan cheese, breadcrumb before placing them in the preheated oven on a platter until golden. Or simply grease a pan and add the chayote mixture and cover with cheese, breadcrumb and place in a preheated oven until golden.
In this recipe you can add shrimp or cubes of ham in the chayote mixture. Since it is Christmas it will not hurt to add 2 tablespoon of white wine in the mixture.